This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 4 medium-to-large tomatoes
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh mint (this is a key ingredient and should not be omitted)
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Cut tomatoes in half horizontally and with a teaspoon, scoop out seed pockets and discard, leaving pulp and core. Once cut, place the tomatoes upside down on paper towels. They will drain and dry and bake better this way.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a small pan with foil and spray with kitchen pan spray. Set aside.
- While tomatoes are drying, in a medium bowl place all other ingredients and mix to combine.
- Invert the tomatoes and place on prepared pan.
- Start by filling all the crevices left behind when you removed the seeds. Then place the remaining mixture over the top of each, pressing down slightly just to keep the crumbs in place.
- Place uncovered in the oven for up to 20 minutes or until golden brown and just slightly soft on the outside of tomato. Tomato size and ovens vary so cooking time may be plus or minus five minutes. Our medium-sized tomatoes were done in just about 18 minutes. If they get too brown too quick, finish baking with foil over tops.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.