This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 2 pounds of zucchini whole (one to three depending on size)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 ½ cups seasoned bread crumbs
- Vegetable or Canola oil for frying
- 3 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups tomato sauce (see recipe here)
- ½ pound fresh grated mozzarella
- Optional – pasta for serving
- Remove stem and end from zucchini(s). Slice into half inch slices. Set aside.
- Mix flour, one teaspoon of salt and pepper into a medium bowl or pie plate.
- Beat eggs and milk into another medium bowl or pie plate.
- Pour bread crumbs into a third medium bowl or pie plate.
- The zucchini should be a little wet from sitting. Dip each piece first into flour (shake off excess), then in egg wash and then in bread crumbs and lay out on a platter. Lay a piece of parchment over each layer if they all don’t fit on the platter in a single layer.
- In a cast iron skillet or other heavy bottomed pan, fill to about three inches with the oil and bring to 350 degrees.
- Also preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- With long handled tongs, place breaded zucchini into hot oil and cook in batches making sure the oil heats back up before you start the next batch. Fry about a minute and a half on each side or until golden brown. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels. Salt each piece as they come out of the hot oil with remaining teaspoon of salt. Repeat for remaining pieces. They will not be fully cooked at this point.
- As you are cooking, draining and salting each piece, begin assembling on a foil lined sheet pan that has been lightly sprayed with pan spray. Arrange into six even piles letting them fall off to each side (see photos below).
- After they are all on the sheet pan, divide the grated Parmesan between them. Then divide the sauce and finally the mozzarella between the six portions (see photos above).
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with pasta of your choice if desired.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.