This recipe for Chile con Queso is a variation of the popular ‘queso’ appetizer served at The Edgewater Café, a popular Mexican restaurant that Jack worked at years ago. Originally, a simpler recipe that included only milk, white American cheese, chiles and Rocket Fuel – Jack’s version includes a blend of cheeses, as well as diced tomatoes to give it additional flavor and a chunkier consistency.
We recently served this chile con queso to rave reviews a few weekends ago. My daughter’s Daisy Girl Scout troop came over to our house to sort boxes of cookies from our recent cookie sale – and kids and moms alike devoured this queso! It’s that good!
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 1 pound American cheese
- 2 pounds Velveeta
- 8 ounces Colby Jack cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons Rocket Fuel or your favorite hot sauce
- 2 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles, drained and rinsed
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes with jalapenos drained
- Pour milk into 4-quart sauce pan and heat over medium heat until hot.
- Add cheeses, stirring as you go. Heat until mixture is thick.
- Add Rocket Fuel, chopped chiles and tomatoes.
- Heat to serving temperature and serve with corn chips.
- Add a little milk if the mixture becomes too thick. Reheat in the microwave as needed.
You may also like: