As I’m writing this post, I’m really wishing I had a bowl of this Creamy Chicken Queso Dip in front of me right now to eat.
Just – please excuse me while I take a moment to stare at that photo!
This creamy chicken queso dip couldn’t be any more delicious – or any easier to make! It is a quick all-in-one-skillet-prep sort of dish with shredded chicken and sautéed onions, garlic and peppers in a decadent and creamy cheese sauce made from cream cheese and melty Fontina cheese!
This Creamy Chicken Queso Dip is hearty and filling – and you can spoon it over a bed of tortilla chips and enjoy it as a meal. Or – serve it hot in a bowl (like we show in our photo) with chips on the side as an appetizer!
Interested in more chicken recipes?
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 small jalapeño, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ pounds chicken tenders
- 1 14-ounce can chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces Fontina cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened as needed
- 2 tablespoons flour as needed
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- Place diced tomatoes in a strainer over a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let this sit and drain while you work on the rest of the dish. Every now and then give the tomatoes a turn to help them drain.
- In a skillet heat oil over medium high heat and sauté onions, both peppers and garlic for two minutes.
- Add chicken and stock, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove cooked chicken to your cutting board and lower heat under skillet to medium.
- Add cream and drained tomatoes to the pan and simmer while you shred the chicken.
- With a fork, hold the fat end of the cooked tender and pull with the fork starting at the small end. When you reach the fat end, work around the tendon that is in each tender and discard the tendon. Set the shredded chicken aside.
- Add the cream cheese and Fontina to the pan and stir until they are melted into the mixture.
- At this point, the mixture should be thick and creamy. If it is too loose (depends how watery the tomatoes were), take the softened butter and add the flour in a small bowl until a paste forms. Add little bits of this to the sauce until it reaches the desired consistency. This step may not be necessary if the consistency is already thick and creamy. Our tomatoes were very meaty but they are not always that way.
- Add shredded chicken and stir.
- If serving as a meal, you can serve it two ways. Place tortilla chips in a bowl and spoon this over, or serve the chips on the side.
- If serving as an appetizer, when ready to serve, pour hot mixture in a bowl, and serve along side a bowl of tortilla chips.
Keywords: creamy chicken queso dip
You may also like: