This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Fettuccine in Cream, Tomato & Basil Sauce is a delicious and easy recipe that I’ve had in my recipe box for years! It’s similar to a Fettuccine Alfredo in some ways – but with a lighter, fresher flavor thanks to diced fresh tomatoes, fresh basil and parsley added to the delicious cream sauce!
What I also love about this fettuccine in cream, tomato & basil sauce is that it cooks up very quickly – about as long as it takes to boil your pasta! You do want to drain the diced tomatoes ahead of time so that the tomatoes’ excess water is removed – but that step can be done well ahead of time (or even the night before) so that once you’re ready to eat – you can cook this dish up in minutes!
You can also change up this recipe with other vegetables, herbs and cheeses. Try adding diced zucchini instead of – or in addition to – the fresh diced tomatoes. Or – use some fresh oregano for a more Mediterranean twist. And – you can even add diced mozzarella for a thicker texture to the cheese sauce if you’d like!
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper (about 7 grinds on a mill)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 cup finely shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1 pound fettuccine or linguini
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut each tomato into slices (do not peel). With your fingers, remove seeds and discard. Dice the remaining tomato slice. Place the tomatoes in a sieve over a bowl, sprinkle with salt and let drain for at least 30 minutes. (This step can be done well ahead of time.)
- In a large saucepan, bring some salted water to a boil.
- While the pasta water is heating up – in a large cast-iron skillet, heat the butter and sprinkle with flour. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and let simmer until the cream is reduced by about 1/3rd or until it coats the back of spoon dipped into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Then add garlic and basil and set aside.
- Add the fettuccine to the boiling water and cook until just tender. Drain and add to the cream mixture in the skillet.
- Place the skillet over low heat, heating the fettuccine in the sauce without letting the sauce come back to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the drained diced tomatoes and the fresh parsley. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: