This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
At our house, weekdays during the school year are completely hectic with work, school, homework, swim lessons and other activities – not to mention everything else that needs to get done just to keep the household going!
Even with all of this going on, we always try to have dinner together as a family as often as possible. Our Weekday Triple Play recipes series is one way that – with a little advance planning – we can enjoy three different and delicious meals (all made from a versatile Cabbage Blend) that are easy to prepare when the week gets very busy!
Meal #1 is this flavorful Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry that starts with strips of beef marinated in a super-flavorful Asian-inspired blend of beef broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and other seasonings. The marinade is then used as a sauce for the beef which is combined with the stir fried cabbage blend.
This beef and cabbage stir fry is easy to prepare – and as a bonus, you’ll get Meal #2 out of this as you set aside some of the cooked beef and cabbage stir fry to be used in tomorrow’s recipe for Beef Calzones!
Weekday Triple Play adapted from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 1½ pounds boneless beef sirloin, trimmed of all fat
- 9 cups of cabbage blend recipe
- ¾ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- Thinly sliced scallion for garnish
- Freeze beef for 30 minutes.
- Prepare cabbage blend per recipe instructions. Measure out 9 cups of the cabbage blend for this stir fry.
- In a large bowl, mix beef broth, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, sugar, sesame oil, sesame seeds and pepper.
- After the beef has been in the freezer for 30 minutes, thinly slice against the grain into bite sized strips. Add beef strips to marinade. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature or two hours refrigerated (stir occasionally).
- Drain meat but reserve marinade. Stir corn starch into marinade and set aside.
- In a large pan or wok, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat to medium high. Once wok is heated and oil is hot, add cabbage blend and stir fry for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Remove the cabbage from the wok and keep warm. Set aside one cup of the cooked cabbage for Meal #2: Beef Calzones. Reserved mixture should be refrigerated or it may be frozen.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil to the wok and heat until hot. Stir-fry the beef for 2-3 minutes. (If necessary, cook the beef in batches so it stir fries and doesn’t steam.) Set aside half of the cooked beef for Meal #2: Beef Calzones. Store with reserved cooked cabbage mixture in the refrigerator or it may be frozen as well.
- Give marinade a stir and add to cooked beef. Cook and stir until mixture is bubbly. Cook for an additional two minutes.
- To serve, arrange warm cabbage on serving platter and spoon beef mixture over cabbage. Sprinkle scallions over top and serve.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Weekday Triple Play adapted from [Better Homes and Gardens|
Coming up in our Weekday Triple Play Recipe Series: