Haluski - A simple,rustic and traditional dish made with fried cabbage and noodles. Pure, delicious comfort food!

This post is sponsored by No Yolks.

If you’re a regular here on A Family Feast, then you’ve probably become quite accustomed to seeing recipes that originated from my husband Jack’s side of the family! But today, we’re sharing a recipe inspired by MY side of the family – this simple and delicious dish called Haluski, or Fried Cabbage and Noodles.

I grew up in a large household with both parents from Polish descent. Every Sunday afternoon was spent visiting my Babci and Dzaidzi (my grandmother and grandfather on my mother’s side). As part of the visit we always enjoyed a simple and very delicious meal – including dishes like this fried cabbage and noodles!

Almost everyone who grew up in a family of Eastern European descent has enjoyed this simple, rustic dish – cabbage and onions fried in butter (I think it’s best when the cabbage and onions are slightly browned and caramelized), then tossed with egg noodles, salt and pepper. Some versions also include caraway seed, slices of kielbasa, or salt pork – but we decided to use pancetta, which added really fantastic flavor to the traditional haluski recipe!

This is pure, delicious comfort food – and it’s best with a great egg noodle like No Yolks®!

No Yolks® brand noodles are cholesterol-free and they always cook up smooth, firm, and delicious – and it was the perfect choice for our Haluski recipe! No Yolks® egg noodles come in a variety of sizes that always cook up right, and for an even healthier option, No Yolks® noodles are now available in Whole Grain too.

Haluski (Fried Cabbage and Noodles) - A Family Feast

Haluski (Fried Cabbage and Noodles)

• Total Time: 25 minutes
  • Yield: 4 servings

• 2 ounces pancetta, diced small (or bacon if you prefer)
  • 6 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 2 cups onion, diced
  • 1 ½ pounds green cabbage, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 ounces dry No Yolks® egg noodles, any size noodle

1. In a medium to large skillet, over medium high heat, cook pancetta in 2 tablespoons of butter until crisp. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add 2 more tablespoons butter, cabbage, salt and pepper, cover and once mixture is hot, reduce to medium and cook for ten minutes.
  2. While cabbage mixture is cooking, cook No Yolks® noodles according to package direction and drain.
  3. Once cabbage is tender, remove cover and add drained noodles.
  4. Add remaining butter and cook to bring to serving temperature.
  5. Season with additional salt and pepper as desired. (Lots of black pepper is traditional!)

You may also enjoy:

Turkey Tetrazzini

Turkey Tetrazzini - A Family Feast

Noodle Kugel

Noodle Kugel - A Family Feast

Comments

• Carol wrote:

Love this recipe! I have made this recipe several times for Polish brother-in-law. He loves when I make it. And he loves me for making it!!

So glad to hear the recipe is a hit Carol!

• GZ wrote:

My mom (Serbian & Croatian) used to make huluska but instead of the noodles she would make potato dumplings, mixed with the cabbage, which I think??? might be a Hungarian version. She was a great cook but this was my absolute favorite dish she ever would make!

Sounds wonderful! 🙂

• Connie wrote:

My parents are Jamaican and we ate a slightly varied version of this recipe, which was based on a traditional Jamaican recipe! Only we ate it with rice.

Sounds delicious Connie! I’ve had a lot of reader comments about this recipe and it sounds like so many different cuisines have a similar variation. (I’ll have to try it with rice the next time!) Thanks for taking the time to write to us today!

• Connie wrote:

Hey Martha, my mum used to add a sweet pepper and a tomato to give it some sauce and of course being Jamaican, some peppery heat! But I saw your recipe and will cook it with some pasta for a change!

Yum Connie! We definitely need to try some new variations – the peppers and tomatoes sound like a great addition! Thanks again! Have a great weekend!

• Aly wrote:

My Mom made this when we were kids and we called it ‘Noodle Mush’ She used about 1/2 lb bacon and two other really important ingredients: about 1/2 ring of good smoked kielbasa cut into dice and 1-2 tab. of caraway seeds. Try this variation and I promise you will not be disappointed. I recently made this for 4 friends with enough leftovers for 3-4 more meals. Guess what, the group ate it all! Definitely a no-leftover dish.

Oh yes…adding kielbasa and caraway sounds AMAZING Aly! 🙂

• Debbie Deal wrote:

These pierogi’s look soooooo divine. Years ago I had my very first indulgence with these Polish delights, while in Rhode Island. It was a Polish festival, and it was love at first bite!!! My favorite on Earth are the sauerkraut ones!!!!! Thank you sooo much for posting. I am so excited to make them!!!!!

You’re very welcome Debbie! We hope you love the recipe!

• Kathy wrote:

This was good comfort food
    Next time I make it I will use less
    Salt and butter

Thanks Kathy!

• Chuckwagon wrote:

I made Haluski because it just sounded goog. IT IS!!! I made it as written but used smoker bacon. Hot, filling, and really good. Lots of black pepper was all I added. Great recipe.

Thank you! That bacon sounds amazing!!

• LR wrote:

I make something similar to this..I fry pork sausage, cabbage, add egg noodles and add cinnamon to taste. Delicious!

Sounds delicious!

• Sue wrote:

I have made this for years. Many ways to make it.
    BUT: can anyone tell me origin of word Haluski?
    I’ve talked to Polish, Hungarian and all. No one recognizes this word.

Hi Sue – Great question! I don’t know the origin of the word either.

• Teri Paystrup wrote:

My mom makes this every year for Christmas, the only difference is she makes homemade potato dumplings in place of the noodles.

Sounds delicious Teri! (I’m sure the homemade dumplings make this recipe even better!)

• WMC wrote:

We make this all the time– We call it lukshon. So yummy. My partner loves her’s with ketchup and I like mine with tons of pepper!

• Christopher Keller wrote:

My German grandmother used to make this, I never “actually knew that it had a name” till today, L O L…….We just called it noodles and cabbage, but I continue to make it to this day. Thank you for reminding me of the recipe! No pancetta in the house, so using some thick cut bacon. I forgot this also makes a TON of food, which is no problem for us!

So glad we reminded you of a favorite recipe! Swapping in bacon is totally fine! Enjoy!

• Joyce D wrote:

Not on instagram but…With 3 Polish grandparents, I had to try this! Am sitting here eating it right now. All I had was bacon and some sliced deli ham. That was perfect! Drained the bacon fat, added butter and away I went. This is now in my recipe collection. Definite comfort food….

Sounds like some delicious improvisations Joyce! (This is definitely one of those recipes that works with all different types of cured meats.) Thank you for taking the time to write to us today.

• Rhonda Heilman wrote:

What is pancetta, never heard of it before

Hi Rhonda – Pancetta is an Italian bacon that is sold at the deli counter of most supermarkets. You can also swap in bacon, ham, or kielbasa/smoked sausage if you can’t find it at your market.

• Bonnie Pople wrote:

This looks delicious – but what is pancetta – I would love to fix this

Hi Bonnie – Pancetta is an Italian bacon that is sold at the deli counter of most supermarkets. You can also swap in bacon, ham, or kielbasa/smoked sausage if you can’t find it at your market.

• Denise wrote:

Can’t wait to make this as my husband loves cabbage!!! Only problem, he’s vegetarian….. Can I just fry onions and cabbage and add noodles? Any suggestions???

Hi Denise – Yes – you can certainly leave the pancetta out. (Just be sure to use butter for the best flavor!)

• Pat wrote:

Just like my Hungarian aunt made when I was a kid. Delicious

• Donald Graham wrote:

I just finished eating dinner, when I came across this recipe. Believe it or not I’m getting a little bit hungry for this dish. Thank you for posting

You’re very welcome Donald! Hope you’ll give the recipe a try!

• Gezele wrote:

I am Hungarian descent and I make Haluska. It is fried sauerkraut and flat noodles, you can also fry up bacon, break it into bits and fry it in that with butter added. Absolutely love it!!

Thanks Gezele – we’ll definitely try this with sauerkrauft the next time!

• Tina wrote:

I love this to an my family we make the real hulishki noodle’s which is a potato like dumpling. It is even more awesome. I will send the recipe if u email me an say hulishki recipe in the sunject

Thank you so much Tina! We’d love to see your recipe. I will send you an email shortly! 🙂