This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This post is sponsored by No Yolks.
If you’re a regular here on A Family Feast, then you’ve probably become quite accustomed to seeing recipes that originated from my husband Jack’s side of the family! But today, we’re sharing a recipe inspired by MY side of the family – this simple and delicious dish called Haluski, or Fried Cabbage and Noodles.
I grew up in a large household with both parents from Polish descent. Every Sunday afternoon was spent visiting my Babci and Dzaidzi (my grandmother and grandfather on my mother’s side). As part of the visit we always enjoyed a simple and very delicious meal – including dishes like this fried cabbage and noodles!
Almost everyone who grew up in a family of Eastern European descent has enjoyed this simple, rustic dish – cabbage and onions fried in butter (I think it’s best when the cabbage and onions are slightly browned and caramelized), then tossed with egg noodles, salt and pepper. Some versions also include caraway seed, slices of kielbasa, or salt pork – but we decided to use pancetta, which added really fantastic flavor to the traditional haluski recipe!
This is pure, delicious comfort food – and it’s best with a great egg noodle like No Yolks®!
No Yolks® brand noodles are cholesterol-free and they always cook up smooth, firm, and delicious – and it was the perfect choice for our Haluski recipe! No Yolks® egg noodles come in a variety of sizes that always cook up right, and for an even healthier option, No Yolks® noodles are now available in Whole Grain too.
- 2 ounces pancetta, diced small (or bacon if you prefer)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 ½ pounds green cabbage, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces dry No Yolks® egg noodles, any size noodle
- In a medium to large skillet, over medium high heat, cook pancetta in 2 tablespoons of butter until crisp. Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add 2 more tablespoons butter, cabbage, salt and pepper, cover and once mixture is hot, reduce to medium and cook for ten minutes.
- While cabbage mixture is cooking, cook No Yolks® noodles according to package direction and drain.
- Once cabbage is tender, remove cover and add drained noodles.
- Add remaining butter and cook to bring to serving temperature.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as desired. (Lots of black pepper is traditional!)
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also enjoy: