Say the words “Noodles Romanoff” and those of us who were kids growing up during the 1970’s probably remember a boxed mix that was easy, creamy comfort food!
Today’s recipe – our Noodles Romanoff with Mushrooms – is a from-scratch version that will replace any lingering memory you might still have of that old boxed mix!
We’ve deliciously improved this dish tossing cooked egg noodles in a sauce made with a blend of sour cream (the must-include ingredient in any Noodles Romanoff dish!) plus creamy and flavorful cheeses including Parmesan, cheddar and cream cheese. Onions, garlic, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce also add great flavor to this simple comfort food dish.
Our addition of sautéed sliced Cremini or button mushrooms – plus a final sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley on top – also helps to make this Noodles Romanoff even more delicious!
With a prep time of just thirty minutes from start to finish – our Noodles Romanoff with Mushrooms is a perfect side dish to serve at any meal, or as a delicious meatless meal option when you’ve got a strong craving for creamy, cheesy comfort food!Print
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 ounces Cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups dry egg noodles
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil while making the sauce below.
- In a large skillet or sauté pan, melt two tablespoons of butter over medium high heat and once frothy, add sliced mushrooms. Cook for five minutes or until browned. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining butter, and over medium heat, sauté onions for about four minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add sour cream, Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cook gently over medium to combine flavors. Set heat to low or remove from heat entirely.
- Add egg noodles to boiling water and cook to just slightly under-cooked. Using a strainer or spider add noodles and the mushrooms to the pan with the sauce and return the burner under the sauce to medium.
- Cook until the pasta is done. If too thick, add a little pasta water.
- Serve with chopped fresh parsley.
You may also like: