This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat (use lard if you don’t have bacon fat, but we don’t recommend using vegetable shortening since it won’t add much flavor to this dish)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes cored and cut into large one inch chunks (save any juice from cutting)
- 1½ cups broth (we used vegetable, but chicken or beef will also work)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium pot with a tight-fitting lid, melt bacon fat in the oil over medium high.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add stock, bring to a boil and add rice, salt and pepper.
- Cover and after it comes to a boil, lower to a gentle simmer and cook 20 minutes covered.
- Remove from heat and fluff with fork before serving.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.