This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 4 cups of water
- 1 orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup short grain rice (see note above)
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg yolks beat in medium bowl
- Cinnamon for garnish
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water to boil along with orange peel, cinnamon stick, butter and salt. When it reaches a full boil, add in the rice. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes (this time will depend on which type of short grain rice you use) Gently simmer until almost all of the water has been absorbed. Stir often.
- While rice is cooking, heat milk and cream to very hot but not scorched. (You’ll need to time this so the milk gets heated just before you add it to the rice mixture.)
- Pour hot milk into rice mixture and stir. Simmer for 5 minutes. Now stir in both sugars and vanilla and turn off heat.
- Slowly whisk in hot rice mixture into eggs a tiny bit at a time to temper the eggs. After three or so cups of rice have been whisked into eggs, pour egg mixture back into rice and whisk.
- With tongs or a fork, remove and discard orange peel and cinnamon stick.
- Place pudding back on stove and simmer gently for 10 minutes to allow mixture to thicken.
- Cool mixture in one large serving dish or into individual servings. Top with powdered cinnamon.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.