This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat or pork lard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion (1/4 inch diced)
- 1 ½ cups chopped carrots (1/4 inch diced)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ pound thin sliced Prosciutto diced into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups of any broth (chicken, beef or vegetable or a combination)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- Salt only as needed to taste (the prosciutto provides saltiness to the dish so additional salt may not be needed)
- In a medium to large pan with a tight fitting cover, over medium heat, place bacon fat and oil. Once hot add onions, carrots and garlic and sauté six minutes. Add Prosciutto and tomato paste and stir. Cover and lower heat to lowest setting and cook covered for 25 minutes.
- Remove lid, raise heat, add broth and pepper and bring to a boil. Add rice and when the mixture just starts to come back to a boil, cover and lower heat to lowest setting.
- After 20 minutes remove from heat, fluff with fork and taste. Salt now if needed and let sit five minutes, and then serve.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.