This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Last week, over on our Facebook page, we asked our fans what types of recipes they wanted us to share here on A Family Feast. And the resounding response was grilled foods (meats and vegetables) as well as side dishes and salads to serve along with other barbecued foods!
Luckily – we’ve got tons of recipes like that up our sleeve, ready to be shared, and this Sweet Bell Pepper Slaw with Pineapple is just one of our newer recipes that fits the bill!
This salad is a welcome change to your standard barbecue coleslaw! As you can probably tell from this recipe’s name, it has sweet bell peppers (we used a mix of colors) plus shredded Napa cabbage and carrots, and some sliced pineapple adds a perfect sweetness to this slaw. And the dressing is wonderfully creamy with a savory flavor note thanks to the addition of caraway seed that is the perfect complement to the other flavors in this dish!
This sweet bell pepper slaw is wonderful as a side dish to grilled meats, or seafood, but it’s also great added to the sandwich of your choice. Enjoy!
- 5 cups Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 4 cups mixed bell peppers, cut into thin strips (red, yellow, orange and green)
- ¼ fresh pineapple trimmed, cored, quartered and cut into thin slices
- 1 6-ounce can pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon walnut, grapeseed or canola oil (any light oil)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- Place the cabbage, peppers, pineapple and pineapple juice in a large bowl and let sit 30 minutes.
- Pour entire bowl into a colander over your sink and let liquid drain. Sprinkle and mix in the one teaspoon of salt and let the mixture sit in the colander for 30 more minutes draining into the sink.
- Rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly then ball up some paper towels and press into the mixture to soak up any remaining liquid. (These steps are necessary to add flavor and remove some of the liquid from the vegetables.)
- Once the mixture has drained a bit, transfer to a bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the remaining ingredients and taste. Adjust seasonings as needed then add to dry mixture and toss to combine. Refrigerate and serve once chilled.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: