This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 3–4 medium-sized zucchini
- 1 cup oil-cured Italian pitted black olives (approximately 1 jar, we like Pastene)
- ¾ cup good quality extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup capers drained
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup grated Romano cheese
- 12 mint leaves, left whole
- Italian bread, for serving
- Preheat grill to a medium heat.
- Cut the stem off the top of each zucchini, then slice into ¼ inch slices lengthwise. Lay each slice out on a sheet pan in a single layer.
- In a mini food processor, place 24 pitted olives (about ¼ cup), ½ cup of olive oil, celery seed, celery salt, red pepper flakes, oregano and vinegar. Process the mixture until an oily paste forms.
- Spread the mixture on both sides of the squash, reserving about 1/4 cup.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining olives with the tomatoes, the drained capers, ¼ cup of olive oil, and the black pepper and set aside.
- Grill zucchini one to two minutes on each side until they have nice grill marks and are just slightly cooked. (Try not to overcook.)
- Place cooked zucchini on a platter (curling and twisting the squash) then spread the grape tomato mixture over the top.
- Finally, top with the reserved 1/4 cup of the olive paste, Romano cheese and the mint and serve with nice crusty Italian bread.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.