Oatmeal Apple Scones are buttery, tender scones filled with oats, chunks of apples, molasses and currants. Simple to make and super moist and delicious!
So last week we had an unseasonably cool and rainy day in the middle of some hot and steamy end-of-summer weather…and I decided to make these Oatmeal Apple Scones!
This delicious scone recipe is from an old newspaper clipping I’ve had for years – but had never tried making before. And I was so thrilled by how delicious these scones turned out – super moist and buttery with tons of flavor from molasses, oatmeal, diced apples and dried currants inside!
These oatmeal apple scones are very simple to make, and they make a perfect morning breakfast before school or work. Or – if you’re still on summer vacation like us – bring them to the beach! Enjoy!Print
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup diced apple (use a firm apple such as Gala, Granny Smith, or Cortland)
- 2/3 cup currants
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray the center with non-stick cooking spray (approximately 12-inch diameter circle). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the pieces of butter and using a pastry cutter or your fingers, mix the butter into the flour mixture until it forms coarse crumbs.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the egg, milk, molasses and vanilla. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Add the diced apple and currants to the dough, mixing to evenly combine throughout.
- Place the dough in the center of the prepared cookie sheet, forming an even circle approximately 8-9 inches in diameter. Using a long knife, cut the circle of dough into 8 even wedges.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the wedges comes out cleanly. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Re-cut the wedges with a knife before serving.
Keywords: Oatmeal Apple Scones
You may also like: