- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup diced apple (use a firm apple such as Gala, Granny Smith, or Cortland)
- 2/3 cup currants
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray the center with non-stick cooking spray (approximately 12-inch diameter circle). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the pieces of butter and using a pastry cutter or your fingers, mix the butter into the flour mixture until it forms coarse crumbs.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the egg, milk, molasses and vanilla. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Add the diced apple and currants to the dough, mixing to evenly combine throughout.
- Place the dough in the center of the prepared cookie sheet, forming an even circle approximately 8-9 inches in diameter. Using a long knife, cut the circle of dough into 8 even wedges.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the wedges comes out cleanly. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Re-cut the wedges with a knife before serving.