This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Mashed Cauliflower and Spinach is an easy and delicious way to eat your veggies!
We’ve been on a big cauliflower kick lately. It’s a lower carb and lower calorie alternative to potatoes – plus cauliflower cooks up quickly and tastes delicious!
I’m always looking for delicious ways to eat more veggies. A few weeks ago, I was cooking dinner and had planned to make cauliflower purée as a side dish to serve with our herb roasted chicken. We also had a big bag of baby spinach on hand in the refrigerator – and that was the simple inspiration behind today’s Mashed Cauliflower and Spinach.
To make this Mashed Cauliflower and Spinach, you’ll start out by cooking cauliflower florets in salted boiling water until soft and tender. While the cauliflower cooks, we sautéed some diced onion in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil, then added the fresh spinach to the pan to cook until just wilted.
We pulsed the cooked and drained cauliflower in a food processor, then added the onions, spinach, butter, and seasonings – and pulsed again to combine.
We prefer to serve our Mashed Cauliflower and Spinach with a slightly chunky consistency, but you could process everything to more of puréed consistency. Either way – this easy, healthy side dish is delicious!
P.S. If you are on a Whole30, use organic vegetables and clarified butter.
We love seeing what you made! Tag us on Instagram at @afamilyfeast or hashtag #afamilyfeast so we can see your creations!
Mashed Cauliflower and Spinach
- 1 large head organic cauliflower, trimmed down to the florets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced small
- 2 cups organic fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon butter (or clarified butter or ghee for Whole30)
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and add cauliflower. Cook just until tender, about ten minutes.
- While cauliflower is cooking, heat a medium sauté pan over medium high heat and add olive oil.
- Once hot, add onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until completely cooked.
- Add the spinach, toss and remove from heat.
- Drain the cauliflower but retain about a cup of the cooking water.
- Pulse the cauliflower until rice size but not pureed.
- Add the spinach mixture scraping the oil with it, salt, pepper, garlic powder and butter and pulse to combine. Do not over mix.
- If mixture is too thick, spoon a little of the cauliflower water in. We did not need to do that with ours.
- Serve immediately.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Whole30 Cauliflower and Yam ‘Potato’ Salad
Leave a Comment