Some of my favorite recipes to share here on A Family Feast are those recipes that others share with us! And that is definitely the case with today’s recipe: Kathy’s Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake.
Kathy is the wife of Reynold, who is my husband Jack’s manager at work. Last month, I enjoyed a wonderful dinner out with Jack and Reynold, while Reynold was in town for business. Jack’s co-worker and partner Glenn (creator of Glenn’s Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Chili) and his wife Keri also joined us.
During dinner, we mentioned that Glenn’s chili recipe has become one of the most popular recipes on our site since we shared it here last Fall. Then, Reynold mentioned that his wife Kathy makes a Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake every year around the holidays, and it is so popular with their family and friends that they do a mass baking production in the kitchen!
So of course, we asked for the recipe! 🙂
Kathy’s Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake is super moist, loaded with chocolate chips, and very easy to make! Jack decided to add a chocolate ganache frosting on top of Kathy’s Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake – but that step is totally optional. (Kathy’s original recipe did not include the frosting.)
After we made it, our daughter Emma tasted the very first bite of Kathy’s Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake and declared it, “The best cake I’ve ever had!” And then Emma, who just turned 10 years old, asked us to make it again for her birthday cake. (Which of course, we did!) We also shared Kathy’s Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake with some friends who came over to our house to watch some football – and the rave reviews (and requests for the recipe) continued!
Thank you for sharing your recipe with us Kathy! It is fantastic!Print
- 1 15.25-ounce box yellow cake mix
- 1 3.9-ounce box instant chocolate pudding mix (we used instant chocolate fudge flavor pudding)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Butter and flour to prepare a 10” Bundt pan
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon Dark Rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix all cake ingredients except chips with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Butter and flour a 10” Bundt pan, tapping out any loose flour.
- Pour batter into pan spreading evenly.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes in center of oven until a tooth pick poked into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack. Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer cake to a serving plate.
- Make the ganache after the cake has cooled. Heat cream to hot and remove from heat just as it begins to start to boil. Do not let it boil.
- Add chocolate and let sit five minutes then stir with a whisk to melt all of the chocolate.
- Add butter and rum and whisk. Cool slightly, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drizzle the ganache over the cake covering as much of the surface as possible, letting the ganche drip down the sides of the cake.
- Cut into slices to serve.
Keywords: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: