A simple, flavorful Greek Rice recipe, also known as Spanakorizo.

Last month while attending a food bloggers conference down in Miami, I had the huge pleasure of going on a lunchtime excursion with my blogging friends Christie and Leigh Anne.  We ate lunch at Taverna Opa in the Mary Brickell Village neighborhood of Miami Beach, and I ordered a wonderful meal – Santorini sunfish with a clementine citrus sauce that was served with grilled asparagus and Greek rice.

It was a fantastic meal – my first time eating sunfish – and I loved the accompanying citrus sauce.  But surprisingly, I haven’t been able to get that Greek rice out of my mind!  It was a simple recipe of rice and spinach – but it was also flavored with fresh dill and lemon – a combination I never would have thought to put together with rice.  The dill added such a different, fresh twist to the rice – and I knew that I wanted to recreate this side dish at home.

A simple, flavorful Greek Rice recipe, also known as Spanakorizo.

Today’s recipe is my attempt at recreating that wonderful Greek rice, which I have since learned is known as “Spanakorizo” or spinach rice.  There are many variations of this recipe – sometimes served with feta cheese or an egg on top (our version does not include those).  Like the version I enjoyed in Miami, our recipe has a wonderful distinctive dill and lemon flavor.

clock clock iconcutlery cutlery iconflag flag iconfolder folder iconinstagram instagram iconpinterest pinterest iconfacebook facebook iconprint print iconsquares squares iconheart heart iconheart solid heart solid icon
Greek Rice (Spanakorizo) - A Family Feast

Greek Rice (Spanakorizo)

• Total Time: 30 minutes
  • Yield: 4 servings

Note: You will need a medium-sized sauce pan with lid for this recipe.

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ cup chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon garlic
  • Zest from one lemon
  • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ pound baby spinach, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup basmati rice
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 4 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped and divided
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • A few grinds freshly ground black pepper
  • Juice from one lemon

1. Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Sauté onions until translucent (about 5-7 minutes). Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
  2. Add the lemon zest, cumin and spinach and cover the pan. Cook until the spinach wilts down (about 3-5 minutes).
  3. Stir the rice, vegetable broth, 2 tablespoons of the dill, salt and pepper into the spinach mixture and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce the heat to a simmer, replacing the lid on the pan, and cook until the rice is tender (about 15 to 20 minutes –follow your rice’s package instructions).
  5. Stir in the lemon juice and the remaining fresh dill before serving.

Greek Salad Dressing

Greek Salad Dressing - A Family Feast

Greek Salad with Meat

Greek Salad with Meat - A Family Feast

Greek Chicken Roulade

Greek Chicken Roulade - A Family Feast

30+ Remarkable Rice Recipes

30+ Remarkable Rice Recipes - A Family Feast

Recipe rating

Comments

• Gail wrote:

Going to make this tonight. Can you substitute frozen spinach?

Hi Gail – Yes – just make sure it is well-drained. Hope you enjoy the dish!

• Susan orrell wrote:

What can I sub for the dill? I don’t have access to fresh herbs at the moment, though I do have dried dill.

Hi Susan – The dill really is the predominant flavor in this dish – you can certainly try using the dried dill. Since dried herbs are more intense, typically you use half the amount of fresh called for in a recipe. Hope that helps!

• Patti L. wrote:

Hi…This must be delish ! After spinach is wilted, did you chop it ? Looks like you may have. Thanks…

Hi Patti – Yes – we did! Thanks for catching that – we will update the recipe. Hope you enjoy the recipe!

• Sara wrote:

I love this recipe and have made it several times now, all my family members request it. I follow the recipe exactly, only adding feta cheese at the end (because I love cheese) and it’s perfect every time. Thank you for sharing!

You’re very welcome Sara! I love the idea of adding feta at the end!

• Stacie P wrote:

I have to start by saying that I’ve made 100’s of recipes that I’ve found on Pinterest. This is the only one I’ve felt compelled to leave a review. This rice is the BEST rice dish I’ve ever made. The flavor was amazing. The seasoning was spot on. The rice turned out perfectly fluffy. Maybe it was because of the basmati rice, but I can never get rice to come out fluffy where you can easily separate the grains. I did spend some more time than usual rinsing the rice first. Maybe that’s where I’ve been going wrong all these years! I served the rice with a tomato and cucumber salad and some baked falafel. They were good, but the rice was the star on the plate! I’m so happy to have found it. Hours of searching has paid off big time 🙂

Wow Stacie! Thank you so much! So glad you enjoyed the rice recipe!

• Missy wrote:

This rice does not disappoint! Absolutely delicious!

Thanks Missy!

• dave wrote:

great recipe. everyone loved it

Thanks Dave!

• Sharon wrote:

Ive been using this recipe for a couple of years now…family and visitors always really enjot it. I make chicken souvlaki , flat breads and tatziki with it mmm

Thank you Sharon! Sounds like a wonderful meal!

• Mary wrote:

Love this recipe! Easy to follow!!!!

Thanks Mary!

• Kelley C wrote:

I made this for a large group – so quadrupled the recipe and used my rice cooker. I rinsed the rice a lot (at least 5 or 6 times) because I read basmati rice can get gummy in a rice cooker if you don’t get the extra starch off. I did steps 1 & 2 on the stove, then added everything from step 3 to mix it well before adding to the rice cooker. Cooked it on my cookers white rice setting and It came out great and fluffy. I got lots of compliments.

So glad you all enjoyed the recipe Kelley!