That unopened can of chickpeas in your kitchen cabinet is just waiting to be made into these delicious Crispy Parmesan Chickpeas!
My husband Jack has learned to live with (and thankfully laugh at) some of my little quirky habits. I’ve shared before in this post that I have this habit of always buying a package of strawberries at the supermarket – even if we don’t need them!
The same holds true for chickpeas. While I don’t buy them quite as often as I do strawberries, I am known to grab a can of chickpeas while I’m at the store because I love adding them to soups, chili, and salads! That can often gets pushed to the back of the kitchen cabinet – and the next thing we know – we have several cans of chickpeas in the cabinet because I don’t remember if I bought them the last time I shopped.
These Crispy Parmesan Chickpeas are a delicious way to use up some garbanzo beans! I found this recipe last summer in an issue of Cooking Light magazine – and it has become a favorite snack ever since when I’m craving something salty (and when we have too many cans of chickpeas in the cabinet!)
To make these Crispy Parmesan Chickpeas, all you need to do is place rinsed and well-dried canned chickpeas in a hot skillet with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil – and crisp them up until golden brown. Then toss them with a mixture of grated Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, and seasonings – and you’ve got a quick, delicious, healthy snack.Print
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Drain chickpeas in a strainer and rinse. Place chickpeas on several layers of paper towels and blot to dry completely. (This step is important to ensure that your chickpeas will get crispy.)
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until it starts to glisten. Add chickpeas to hot skillet (be careful of any splattering) and cook until golden brown and crispy all over – approximately 20 minutes – stirring occasionally.
- Once cooked, transfer chickpeas to a bowl. Sprinkle cheese, garlic powder, lemon zest, oregano, salt and pepper over the chickpeas and toss to coat.
- Cool seasoned chickpeas on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: