Our garden green beans are still coming on strong – and what better way to enjoy them than this Chick Pea and Green Bean Salad!
Our Chick Pea and Green Bean Salad is perfect served alongside any favorite grilled meats or fish, and I also like adding this dish to a tossed garden salad.
The deep delicious flavors in this salad come from sautéing the chick peas and beans in extra virgin olive oil and chopped fresh garlic until the beans are tender. Then, they are tossed with marinated sliced red onions and a simple lemon and Dijon mustard vinaigrette.
A final sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley and mint gives this chick pea and green bean salad additional bright flavor – and this beautiful salad is ready to serve! The flavors are refreshing and delicious – and a perfect way to enjoy fresh garden green beans.Print
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion, cut into half circles
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¾ pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into one-inch pieces
- 1 15.5-ounce can chick peas, rinsed and well drained
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons water
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- Place sliced onions and lemon juice in a small zip lock bag and seal out air. Let sit at room temperature while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- In a large sauté pan place 1 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat and add beans and sauté for five minutes. Add chick peas and another tablespoon of oil and sauté for 8-10 minutes or until beans are tender. Add garlic, salt, pepper and water and cook for one minute. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, drain off liquid from onions and add the Dijon whisking to combine. While whisking add remaining tablespoon of oil to make vinaigrette.
- In a large bowl combine cooled pea and bean mixture, marinated onions, chopped parsley, chopped mint and dressing. Stir to combine and cool to room temperature before serving.
You may also like: