This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These days, more and more of our friends and family (as well as us!) are watching what they eat and trying to make some healthier food choices.
So as we’ve been entertaining this summer, Jack and I have been trying to serve some lighter (but still very delicious!) fare that will help our guests stay on their diets as well as impress their taste buds! These Avocado Rye Canapés are a perfect option.
The idea behind these delicious little appetizers came about after I made avocado toast as part of a light lunch for Jack and myself a few weeks ago. I wanted to use up the last few slices of some dark rye bread we had on hand, as well as a very ripe avocado – and we also had some of our delicious pickled red onions in the refrigerator.
The dark rye bread was a perfect flavor pairing with the lightly seasoned, mashed avocado and the bright and zesty flavor from the pickled red onions gives a great kick of flavor.
We love the flavor combination so much, we decided to turn it into an appetizer – and that was the inspiration behind this avocado rye canapés recipe!
- 2 large ripe avocados
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 3–4 grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices dark rye bread
- Pickled red onions (see recipe here)
- Slice avocados in half lengthwise and remove pit (we show you an easy way to do it right here). Using a spoon, scoop the avocado flesh from the skin and place in a bowl. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper, then using a fork, mash the avocado (I like to leave some chunks) and mix until blended. Set aside.
- Trim the crusts from the slices of rye bread. Then cut in half diagonally to form triangles.
- When ready to serve, lightly toast the rye bread triangles. Once toasted, spread the avocado mixture onto the rye toasts. Garnish with slices of pickled red onions.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: