This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Last week, we found ourselves with quite a large crop of green beans from our garden! So of course, we decided to make and share a favorite recipe here on A Family Feast. Today’s recipe is Mario Batali’s Green Beans – or as the celebrity chef calls this recipe: Fagiolini in Padella.
Fagiolini in Padella simply means “green beans in the pan” in Italian, and the name is a nod to the cooking method use in this recipe. (But it sounds so much better in Italian, doesn’t it?!)
Fresh beans are sautéed until tender in extra virgin olive oil, finely sliced red onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and finely chopped mint, then finished with salt and freshly ground pepper. We love the simplicity of this dish, and the mint and red pepper flakes are both surprisingly delicious with the green beans and caramelized onions!
We’ve made this recipe since discovering it here. In our version, we did cut back on the amount of olive oil used to sauté the beans, and we reduced the amount of red pepper flakes so that there is just a hint of heat as you eat this wonderful dish. (But feel free to add more red pepper flakes if you’d like more heat!)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (approximately 0.5 ounces)
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin slices (approximately 4 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or up to 1 teaspoon if you like it spicier)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 pound green beans, tops removed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet with a cover, heat the olive oil over medium heat until the oil just starts to smoke.
- Add the onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and mint and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and toss to coat. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes or until green beans are tender but not mushy.
- Remove skillet from the heat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: