I was given a free one month subscription to Weight Watchers to try their new Simple Start plan and write about my experience. Though I was compensated for my time and commitment, all views, positive and negative, are my own.
We’ve just completed our first week on Weight Watchers’ Simple Start program – and thanks to great recipes like this Couscous with Lentils and Vegetables, it’s been easy to stay on a healthier (and delicious) eating plan! My favorite jeans are already feeling a little looser in the waist these days and I’m thrilled!
The Simple Start program includes two weeks of recipes and meal ideas that have helped us get off to a great start on the Weight Watchers program! The Simple Start app is easy to use – you can select a specific meal that you want to make like we show you here:
Or – you can create your own meals and recipes using a list of nutritious and satisfying ‘power’ foods that are all part of the Simple Start plan! The app is on my phone so I’ve used it at the grocery store as my shopping list (so convenient!) – and we’ve even created some recipes you’ll see here featured here on A Family Feast!
We’ve made quite a few of the recipes that are included in the Simple Start program – including our adapted version of this delicious couscous with lentils and vegetables! It’s made with whole wheat couscous and has lentils for protein, plus a healthy serving of vegetables including red onion, mushrooms and tomatoes.
This couscous with lentils and vegetables can be served as a single vegetarian meal or as a side dish for two.
Adapted recipe reprinted with permission from Weight Watchers.Print
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 ounces uncooked lentils
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
- 1/3 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (about ¼ teaspoon)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 5 medium mushrooms, quartered
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 10 red and/or yellow grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- In a small sauce pan, heat one cup broth and lentils to boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until tender. Set aside. If all the liquid evaporates before lentils are cooked, add a little water to finish cooking.
- In a microwave safe bowl, place ½ cup vegetable broth, butter or oil and microwave until mixture is boiling. Remove from the microwave, add couscous, stir and cover. Let sit for five minutes covered. Then fluff with fork and set aside.
- Once lentils and couscous are cooked, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and garlic. Cook for about one to two minutes and add onions and mushrooms. Increase heat to medium high and sauté for about five minutes until mushrooms and onions are cooked. Add optional pepper flakes and tomatoes and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add fresh basil, cooked lentils and cooked couscous and cook just until at serving temperature. Season to taste.
- Serve immediately.
You may also like these other Simple Start recipes: