- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 ounces uncooked lentils
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
- 1/3 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (about ¼ teaspoon)
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 5 medium mushrooms, quartered
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 10 red and/or yellow grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- In a small sauce pan, heat one cup broth and lentils to boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until tender. Set aside. If all the liquid evaporates before lentils are cooked, add a little water to finish cooking.
- In a microwave safe bowl, place ½ cup vegetable broth, butter or oil and microwave until mixture is boiling. Remove from the microwave, add couscous, stir and cover. Let sit for five minutes covered. Then fluff with fork and set aside.
- Once lentils and couscous are cooked, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and garlic. Cook for about one to two minutes and add onions and mushrooms. Increase heat to medium high and sauté for about five minutes until mushrooms and onions are cooked. Add optional pepper flakes and tomatoes and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add fresh basil, cooked lentils and cooked couscous and cook just until at serving temperature. Season to taste.
- Serve immediately.