This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Lentils with Brown Rice and Feta is a delicious and healthy idea for a Meatless Monday meal.
We originally posted this Lentils with Brown Rice and Feta recipe back in February 2013. After making this delicious dish again this past week, I thought we were long overdue to update the photos in this post!
This hearty salad is made with brown lentils and brown rice (short or long grain is fine), plus diced zucchini, sweet red peppers, and scallions. Crumbled feta cheese is stirred in while the rice and lentils are still warm, adding a touch of creaminess plus a burst of briny flavor that wonderfully complements the earthiness of the lentils and rice. Finally, the dish is finished with a simple dressing of extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar which also helps brighten the flavors.
Our Lentils with Brown Rice and Feta can be served immediately while still warm, or at room temperature. It’s also delicious served chilled, and I love the flavor of the feta so much – I like to serve this with an extra crumble of feta on top.
This recipe for Lentils with Brown Rice and Feta makes a generous amount, so you can also pack it up for lunch the next day.
This recipe was originally clipped from the pages of The Boston Globe newspaper. It was developed by Jean Kressy, who was the food editor for the Boston Globe, and also a contributing editor for Cooking Light magazine.
We love seeing what you made! Tag us on Instagram at @afamilyfeast or hashtag #afamilyfeast so we can see your creations!
Lentils with Brown Rice and Feta
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water (for cooking rice)
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- 4 scallions, both white and green parts
- 1 medium-sized sweet red pepper
- 1 medium-sized zucchini
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, plus more for crumbling on top
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine brown rice and either stock or water. Cook rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, prepare lentils as follows: In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils, bay leaf and 4 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently boil uncovered for 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender but still have a bite.
- While rice and lentils are cooking, thinly slice the scallions, and cut the red peppers and zucchini into small ½ inch dice (remove any large seeds from the zucchini if necessary).
- Drain the lentils and discard the bay leaf. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the cooked rice, scallions, red pepper, zucchini, feta, oil, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper and combine with a large spoon.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with additional feta cheese crumbled over the top.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like:
Tomato Lentil Soup with Sausage
Curried Rice Pilaf with Red Lentils
Our original photo:
Leave a Comment