This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Tomato Lentil Soup with Sausage recipe is sponsored by Hunt’s tomatoes. All opinions are 100% mine.Brrrrr!! We’ve had some very cold weather these last few days – and all I really want is comfort food! One of our all-time favorite types of comfort food is soup – and this hearty, delicious Tomato Lentil Soup with Sausage is the perfect meal to warm up your belly when the weather outside is cold and blustery! Our soup has fantastic flavor and it’s loaded with all sorts of delicious ingredients! Tender cooked lentils, sweet Italian sausage, plus lots of healthy veggies including Tuscan kale, leeks, carrots, celery and Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes. But the key to achieving a rich, deep broth for this Tomato Lentil Soup with Sausage is by adding Hunt’s Recipe Ready Tomato Paste! Hunt’s Recipe Ready Tomato Paste is a convenient, hassle-free way to add tomato paste to any recipe. It’s the same great 100% natural Hunt’s Tomato Paste found in cans – but now available in pre-measured, two-tablespoon pouches. The easy Tear-n-Toss pouch is freshly opened when you need it – so no more wasted tomato paste! Hunt’s Recipe Ready Paste is available in the canned tomatoes section of grocery stores nationwide. Each box contains six two-tablespoon pouches. All Hunt’s products – including Hunt’s Recipe Ready Tomato Paste is made from non-GMO tomatoes grown in California. Hunt’s tomatoes are picked at the peak of ripeness, and go from field to can within hours. For more information about Hunt’s tomatoes, visit them online or follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. #HuntsDifference
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from the casings
- 1 cup leeks, whites only, cleaned of sand and diced
- ½ cup celery, diced small
- ½ cup carrots diced small
- 2 cups Tuscan kale, chopped (Discard ribs)
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon dry marjoram
- 3 2-tablespoon pouches Hunt’s Recipe Ready Tomato Paste
- 1 pound dried lentils
- 1 14.5-ounce can Hunts Diced Tomatoes
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a 5-6 quart Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, heat two tablespoons of the oil over medium high heat.
- Once hot, add sausage meat and break up with a wooden spoon while browning, about 3-4 minutes.
- Move the sausage meat to the sides and add the remaining oil along with the leeks, celery and carrots. Stir and cook until the leeks begin to soften, about 2-3 more minutes.
- Add in the chopped kale and stir the entire mixture and cook to wilt the kale, about another 2 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste and stir into the mixture. Reduce to medium and cook this for 2 more minutes.
- Add the lentils, diced tomatoes and the stock and raise the heat to high.
- Bring to a boil, cover and lower to the lowest heat.
- Cook covered for 35-45 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Be careful not to overcook the lentils. They should still have a little chew.
- Season with the salt and pepper and taste. Season more if needed.
- Use a small ladle or soup spoon and remove any fat that floats to the top and discard. (We removed about a half cup of fat.)
- This final step is optional but advised. Puree some of the soup but not all by either placing some in a blender or use an immersion blender and puree for a few seconds. This will give the soup a nice creamy texture but still have plenty of body.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.