This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
As adventurous an eater as my husband Jack is – there are still some foods that he pretty much avoids. Foods flavored with curry are not his favorite – but I love it! So I’m bound and determined to change his mind with delicious recipes like today’s Curried Rice Pilaf with Red Lentils!
The flavor in this hearty rice and lentil dish comes primarily from Thai red curry paste – a creamy, spicy paste that blends very nicely into savory recipes. Garam masala – a blend of spices using frequently in Indian cuisine – is also added plus fresh garlic, ginger, onions and cilantro.
Yes – that sounds like quite a mix of flavors! But these ingredients are all mixed together in a sauce made with diced fresh tomatoes and coconut milk which adds flavor but also mellows the spices and wonderfully marries all of the flavors together.
This Curried Rice Pilaf with Red Lentils is a delicious and hearty meatless meal served with naan or pita bread. But it can also be served as a side dish to just about any grilled meat – adding bold and exotic flavors to your meal.
And yes – if case you were wondering – my husband Jack loves this Curried Rice Pilaf with Red Lentils! 🙂
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils
- 1½ cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 1½ teaspoons Garam Masala
- 2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- ¼ cup diced fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Few grinds freshly cracked black pepper
- In a medium sauce pan with a tight fitting lid, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger and sauté for three minutes.
- Add dry rice and dry lentils and sauté for two minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add fresh tomato, garam masala and curry paste and stir and cook for one minute.
- Add cilantro, coconut milk and water and raise heat to high.
- Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to low.
- Cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper, stir and let sit covered for five minutes.
- Serve with additional chopped cilantro.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: