Note: The salt should NOT be added until the end. If it is added before the lentils are cooked, they will be tough.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils
- 1½ cup fresh diced tomatoes
- 1½ teaspoons Garam Masala
- 2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- ¼ cup diced fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Few grinds freshly cracked black pepper
- In a medium sauce pan with a tight fitting lid, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger and sauté for three minutes.
- Add dry rice and dry lentils and sauté for two minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add fresh tomato, garam masala and curry paste and stir and cook for one minute.
- Add cilantro, coconut milk and water and raise heat to high.
- Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to low.
- Cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper, stir and let sit covered for five minutes.
- Serve with additional chopped cilantro.