- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water (for cooking rice)
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- 4 scallions, both white and green parts
- 1 medium-sized sweet red pepper
- 1 medium-sized zucchini
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese, plus more for crumbling on top
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme (or ¾ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine brown rice and either stock or water. Cook rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, prepare lentils as follows: In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils, bay leaf and 4 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently boil uncovered for 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender but still have a bite.
- While rice and lentils are cooking, thinly slice the scallions, and cut the red peppers and zucchini into small ½ inch dice (remove any large seeds from the zucchini if necessary).
- Drain the lentils and discard the bay leaf. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the cooked rice, scallions, red pepper, zucchini, feta, oil, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper and combine with a large spoon.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with additional feta cheese crumbled over the top.