This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Looking for a new twist on a classic chicken soup recipe? Today’s Citrus Chicken and Rice Soup is for you!
I’m someone who loves a bowl of warm, comforting chicken soup just about any day of the week. This easy and delicious Citrus Chicken and Rice Soup is destined to become a new favorite!
We started with classic chicken and rice soup – but added orange juice to the broth, plus a little lemon and lime juice too. The fresh citrus juices add a wonderful brightness to the soup – reminiscent of an Asian-inspired broth, and fresh cilantro and chopped scallions on top are the perfect finishing touch.
Inspiration for this Citrus Chicken and Rice Soup recipe came from a free recipe magazine from our local supermarket – but we made it our own using Homemade Chicken Stock and Perfect Poached Chicken, plus some other changes. To make the recipe prep even easier, feel free to use a store-bought rotisserie chicken and canned chicken broth instead.
This Citrus Chicken and Rice Soup is a wonderful way to cook with in-season citrus fruits, and it’s a delicious way to warm up your belly this winter!
Interested in more chicken recipes?
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ¼ cup scallion bottoms, sliced (save tops)
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- ½ cup uncooked white rice
- Zest from one naval orange
- 6 cups chicken stock, divided
- 2 whole eggs
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Dash of your favorite hot sauce, optional
- 2 cups cooked chicken, broken into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Sliced scallions (green part), for garnish
- In a five-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat and add the celery, onion, scallion bottoms and carrots. Sauté for three minutes.
- Add the rice and orange zest and cook for one minute.
- Reserve one cup of stock and pour the rest into the pot. Mixture will bubble.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to low, cover and cook covered for just ten minutes.
- While rice is cooking, whip the two eggs until frothy and add to the cup of reserved stock.
- Then add the juice from the orange, lemon and lime and stir. Set this aside.
- After ten minutes, remove lid and add the cooked chicken, green peas and cilantro and heat to hot, almost boiling.
- Remove from heat and ladle out a few cups of hot broth into the egg and juice mixture to temper it. Then slowly add this mixture back into the hot soup, stirring while you add.
- Heat the soup just until serving temperature and remove from heat.
- Add optional hot sauce if desired.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and scallion tops.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: