This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I’ve mentioned before that my husband Jack used to work at a popular Mexican Restaurant called The Edgewater Café, in a small, out-of-the-way coastal town about an hour north of Boston. These Chicken Chimichangas were one of the most popular dishes on the menu.
To continue the story – whenever I went to that same restaurant (not knowing years ago that my future husband was working back in the kitchen!), the two things I ALWAYS ordered off the menu were the chile con queso appetizer and these chicken chimichangas. So can you imagine how thrilled I am that Jack now makes these for me at home?!?
These chicken chimichangas are filled with moist and delicious Mexican pulled chicken and a blend of cheeses, then deep fried until perfectly crisp and golden on the outside. Then the chimi’s are smothered in a white cream sauce that has the perfect amount of heat and seasonings – this is my idea of Mexican comfort food!
We’re also sharing a restaurant tip with you today! The best way to hold the folded tortilla shells together when frying these chicken chimichangas is to use a stainless steel bulldog or binder clip (see example here) on each end! Just be sure to buy the stainless steel versions and not the clips that are painted black because the paint will come off when you are frying the chimichangas in the oil.
Interested in more chicken recipes?
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- ¼ cup butter (4 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock, heated
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies, drained
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon or more of Rocket Fuel, or your favorite hot sauce
- 4 flour tortillas
- 8 ounces Mexican Pulled Chicken
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 1/2 to 2 inch Stainless steel bull dog clips or binder clips (available in any office supply store)
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter and add flour. Stir and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the raw flour smell is gone.
- Add heated chicken stock 1/3 at a time stirring with a wire whip for each third. This step will ensure no lumps.
- Add sour cream, chilies, cayenne and Rocket Fuel and stir. If you like it spicy, use more Rocket Fuel. Remove from heat or keep sauce on low heat until ready for service.
- Fill the center of each tortilla with warmed Mexican Pulled Chicken and both cheeses.
- Start rolling away from you in a tight roll until you reach the end, then flip the roll back to have seam side up. Now fold each end up and over about an inch or so and bind with stainless steel clips.
- Heat enough oil in a heavy bottomed pot to 350 degrees using a thermometer to get to the correct temperature.
- Place two chimichangas in the hot oil making sure they are completely covered by the oil and cook until browned and crispy, about 5 minutes. (Hold down with a metal strainer if necessary). Remove to paper towels and drain, then hold in warm oven. Heat oil back to 350 degrees and cook the other two chimichangas.
- With a pot holder or towel, gently remove hot binder clip.
- Place on serving platter and cover with the sauce.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: