Today’s recipe is a grown-ups-only sweet treat that is perfect for the holidays! You might be a little surprised to see crushed Honey Nut Cheerios on the ingredients list – but trust me, this dessert is not for the kids!
These Bourbon Truffles are super easy to make! Straight Kentucky bourbon is mixed with cocoa, powdered sugar, crushed walnuts and those crushed Honey Nut Cheerios that we mentioned above. The mixture is formed into little balls and then rolled in powdered sugar to give it a snowy white coating.
These are an adult treat that is sure to please – especially if you love bourbon. Adapted from the classic Joy of Cooking cookbook, we followed the basic method outlined in their bourbon balls recipe, but changed out several of the ingredients.
These yummy treats are super delicious – and pack a nice little punch of flavor! In fact, both Jack and I had a difficult time trying not to gobble these down before we took the photographs for this post!Print
- 2½ cups Honey Nut Cheerios cereal
- 1 cup shelled walnuts
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup good quality Kentucky bourbon
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- In a food processor, crush Cheerios until crumbs form. Do not over mix. Set aside.
- In the same food processor, do the same with the walnuts. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift cocoa powder and the one cup of powdered sugar.
- In a small bowl mix bourbon and corn syrup. Add this to the cocoa powder mixture and mix.
- Add the crushed cheerios and walnuts and mix to completely combine.
- Roll into 36 ½-ounce balls.
- Pour the ½ cup of powdered sugar into a small bowl and toss each bourbon ball until coated.
- Dust with a little more cocoa before serving.
You may also like: