This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup quick rolled oats
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 pound zucchini sliced into 1/8th inch slices
- 2 Granny Smith apples cored, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Additional shortening to grease pan
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted cinnamon (or regular if roasted is not available)
- Confectioners’ sugar (optional) for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, salt and baking soda.
- Stir in brown sugar and rolled oats until combined.
- Cut in shortening until fine crumbs form.
- In an 8 inch or 9 inch square pan, liberally grease bottoms and sides.
- Divide half of flour mixture and pour into pan.
- Lay zucchini and apple slices over flour mixture.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar over apples and zucchini.
- Dob butter pieces around top of sugar.
- Pour remaining flour mixture over top and sprinkle the top with the cinnamon.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool and cut 3X4 to yields 9 bars.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream or cold as is with powdered sugar dusted on top.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.