This recipe for Braised Cabbage and Apples is an old recipe from my husband Jack’s former food-service days. At one of the dining locations he managed, his chef – a fellow named Frank, who came from Poland – asked Jack if he could make braised cabbage as the ‘vegetable of the day’ on that particular day.
They had a case of cabbage in the walk-in refrigerator so Jack told Frank to go for it! This delicious braised cabbage and apples was so good – it sold out half way through the lunchtime rush! Jack begged Frank for the recipe – and here is Jack’s version!
Cabbage is one of those vegetables that I think sometimes gets a bad rap – but when cooked correctly, it’s a deliciously mellow vegetable that is just perfect with pork, as well as cured meats like sausage. And combined with apples, this braised cabbage dish has a wonderfully sweet and savory flavor! Additionally, our braised cabbage and apples is flavored with rendered bacon fat, beer and caraway seeds which also perfectly complement the tender cabbage and apples.Print
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups large dice onion
- 2 ½ pound head of cabbage, cored
- 1 peeled and cored apple cut into large pieces (We used Gala)
- ½ cup strong beer or ale
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cut the head of cabbage in half and remove the core from each half. Lay each half flat on cutting board and make thick slices from one end to the other. Then make one cut down the center to cut each slice in half.
- In a large cast iron pan or 14” sauté pan over medium high heat, melt bacon fat and butter. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are just turning soft.
- Add cabbage, apple, beer, stock, caraway, salt, pepper and sugar and cook over medium high to high heat for 20 minutes turning cabbage every minute or so. If the liquid starts to evaporate before the cabbage is cooked, lower heat during the last few minutes of cooking. Test for tenderness and serve.
You may also like: