- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups large dice onion
- 2 ½ pound head of cabbage, cored
- 1 peeled and cored apple cut into large pieces (We used Gala)
- ½ cup strong beer or ale
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cut the head of cabbage in half and remove the core from each half. Lay each half flat on cutting board and make thick slices from one end to the other. Then make one cut down the center to cut each slice in half.
- In a large cast iron pan or 14” sauté pan over medium high heat, melt bacon fat and butter. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are just turning soft.
- Add cabbage, apple, beer, stock, caraway, salt, pepper and sugar and cook over medium high to high heat for 20 minutes turning cabbage every minute or so. If the liquid starts to evaporate before the cabbage is cooked, lower heat during the last few minutes of cooking. Test for tenderness and serve.