This recipe for Apple Pear Compote is a delicious way to add some fresh fruit flavors to any meal.
Our compote uses Red Delicious apples, Bartlett pears and golden raisins that have been cooked in a mixture of lemon juice, sugar, vanilla and a blend of spices. We’ve also added Calvados, a French apple brandy, which adds an extra level of delicious flavors to this apple pear compote.
A compote (which means “mixture” in French) originated in 17th century France as a dessert made with whole or pieces of fruit that have been cooked in a sugar syrup. According to Wikkipedia, the French invented compote believing that fruit cooked in sugar syrup balanced the effects of humidity on the body.Print
Apple Pear Compote
If rhubarb is in season, you can replace the pears with rhubarb and increase sugar to ½ a cup.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Juice of half a lemon
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of powdered ginger
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 tablespoon Calvados or apple jack (optional – but highly recommended for its flavor)
- 6 Red Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
- Combine raisins, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, vanilla, salt, spices and brandy in a large pan and heat and stir to blend ingredients.
- Add apples and pears and simmer 15 minutes or until sauce is thick and fruit is tender.
You may also like: