If rhubarb is in season, you can replace the pears with rhubarb and increase sugar to ½ a cup.
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Juice of half a lemon
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of powdered ginger
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 tablespoon Calvados or apple jack (optional – but highly recommended for its flavor)
- 6 Red Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
- Combine raisins, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, vanilla, salt, spices and brandy in a large pan and heat and stir to blend ingredients.
- Add apples and pears and simmer 15 minutes or until sauce is thick and fruit is tender.