We’re continuing the impromptu fruit theme we have going this week by sharing a delicious and healthy recipe for Chicken and Apples in Honey Mustard Sauce.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are lightly breaded and browned in a skillet, then cooked until tender alongside some Golden Delicious apple slices. A super flavorful honey mustard sauce is poured over the chicken and apples before serving. All of the flavors meld wonderfully together for a delicious meal…and to make things even better, this dish is also low-calorie!
This wonderful chicken and apples in honey mustard sauce makes a great weeknight dinner because it cooks up quickly. But it’s delicious enough that you could serve it for a more formal occasion as well!
This recipe, originally clipped from the pages of the Boston Globe, was developed by Jean Kressy, food editor for the Boston Globe and contributing editor for Cooking Light.
Interested in more chicken recipes? Print
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe printed in the Boston Globe and developed by Jean Kressy.
- ½ cup apple cider
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- A few grinds of pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard OR one tablespoon each honey and Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of all fat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 unpeeeled Golden Delicious apples, cored and cut in eighths
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the apple cider, cornstarch, salt and pepper, and the honey mustard (or honey and Dijon mustard). Mix well and set aside.
- Lightly sprinkle the breadcrumbs onto the chicken pieces.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the canola oil. Add chicken and cook over medium heat until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn chicken, add apples, and cook until chicken is golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes longer.
- Add broth. Cover and simmer on medium heat until the chicken and apples are tender, about 15 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and apples to a serving plate. Whisk cider mixture again and add to the skillet. Cook and stir over high heat until slightly thickened and bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and apples and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
You may also like: