If you are searching for a new and different (and delicious, of course) way to prepare chicken – then look no further than this recipe for Chicken with Sweet and Sour Plum Sauce!
Our version of chicken with sweet and sour plum sauce is an adaptation of a recipe submitted in one of Better Homes and Gardens’ monthly reader recipe contests dating back to 1997. Norma Keleher of Pacific Grove, CA originally called this dish Plum Wonderful Chicken and won $200 in the Chicken International category – due in no small part to this recipe’s unique sauce made from a combination of frozen lemonade and Asian plum sauce. (That original recipe has since been featured in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, Treasured Recipes: 200 Prizewinning Dishes from America’s Hometown Cooks.)
Our version uses skin-on chicken pieces, although boneless, skinless chicken breasts may also be used as it was in Norma’s original recipe. We also added sliced fresh plums to the recipe for added flavor and texture in the dish. And the sweet and sour plum sauce is just fantastic! Please don’t be put off by using the frozen lemonade concentrate – it lends the perfect amount of sweet and sour when combined with the plum sauce – and it’s really delicious paired with the chicken!
Served over a bed of jasmine rice, this chicken with sweet and sour plum sauce is simple enough for an everyday family meal, but would also be an impressive dinner party entrée that your guests will love!
Interested in more chicken recipes? Print
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- 1 pound fresh plums (try to select ones that are still slightly on the firm side)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry ginger
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¾ cup jarred plum sauce
- 1/3 cup frozen lemonade concentrate
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Coleman’s dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds bone in skin on chicken pieces
- ¼ cup diced scallions (white only)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon untoasted sesame seeds
- Jasmine rice for serving
- Cut plums in half and remove pit. Cut each half in half.
- In a medium bowl, mix sugar, dry ginger, fresh nutmeg and orange juice. Add plums and toss. Pour mixture onto bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix jarred plum sauce, lemonade concentrate, lemon zest, chili sauce, soy sauce, dry mustard and sesame oil. Set mixture aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and sear chicken pieces on all sides until brown, about 3 or 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken and place in baking dish with plums.
- Remove and discard all but one tablespoon of oil left in the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add scallions, garlic and ginger and sauté for one minute. Add plum sauce mixture and cook for about five minutes until thick. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon this mixture over the seared chicken pieces.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake uncovered for 35-45 minutes until done (depending on how large pieces are).
- Place pan under broiler for a few minutes to brown and remove.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over chicken pieces and serve with plums and sauce. Best served over white Jasmine rice.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: