In between preparing (and eating!) all of the different dishes we share here on A Family Feast, there are still many days when we simply cook for the sake of eating and not blogging! Our weekdays are like many other families – busy with work, school, homework, housework, after-school activities, errands to run, and appointments – and we just need a quick and easy dinner that the whole family will love.
So on days like that, we don’t cook anything fancy – just simple and delicious recipes like this Crunchy Sweet and Salty Chicken!
The recipe lives up to its name…chicken breasts are first coated with a mixture of mayonnaise and Dijon mustard, then breaded with a combination of crushed Grape-Nuts cereal (for the crunch), brown sugar (for the sweet) and salt (you guessed it – for the salty). Bake the chicken for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the breasts and you’re done!
This recipe is so simple, but the flavors together are really fantastic and the chicken comes out moist and tender! We serve it with some wedges of lime, adding a bright kick of citrusy flavor that’s a perfect complement to this crunchy sweet and salty chicken! This chicken is also terrific served cold – so be sure to make some extra for leftovers!
We recommend making this crunchy sweet and salty chicken with bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts which are juicier (and less expensive) than boneless, skinless breasts. This coating will also work well for other skin-on chicken pieces.
This recipe was inspired by one that I clipped from the pages of The Boston Globe newspaper many years ago. We’ve adapted it to this version printed here today.
Interested in more chicken recipes? Print
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- 4 medium to large bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup Grape-Nuts cereal slightly crushed with a mortar and pestle (or pulse for a second or two in food processor)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- Pan spray
- Lime wedges for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and mustard. Slather this mixture all over both sides of each breast using a pastry brush.
- In a large bowl or high rimmed pie plate, place slightly crushed Grape-Nuts, brown sugar and salt and mix to combine.
- Place a breast in the Grape-Nuts mixture and turn, pressing to coat. Transfer breast to a 9X14 baking dish. Repeat for the other three breasts. Spray tops on each breast with a light coating of pan spray.
- Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes depending on breast size. Poke with your finger, if it bounces back, it is done.
- Broil for a few minutes to further brown the tops if desired.
- Let chicken sit for 5-10 minutes. Slice the chicken from the breasts and serve with lime wedges.
You may also like: