This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The title of this today’s recipe – Kielbasa and Red Cabbage Skillet with Apples – pretty much says it all. This is a simple, one-pan meal that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner, and it’s a welcome change of pace from the same old thing you might be cooking for your family’s dinner!
You’ll start by sautéing some onion in a large skillet (you want to use one with a lid) – then add in chopped red cabbage, apple juice, and diced apple along with some vinegar, sugar and seasonings. All of this quickly cooks until tender. Then you’ll add in sliced kielbasa and cook that until heated through.
Just before serving, add some more sliced apples – and you’re done! This kielbasa and red cabbage skillet with apples is a simple, rustic dish with crunch and texture from the sliced apples surrounded by soft-cooked cabbage and zesty kielbasa. It’s as pretty to look at as it is delicious!
We love seeing what you made! Tag us on Instagram at @afamilyfeast or hashtag #afamilyfeast so we can see your creations!
Kielbasa and Red Cabbage Skillet with Apples
- 2 baking apples (we used Cortland), divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 pound head of red cabbage, cored and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound Kielbasa, cut into slices
- Peel, core and dice one of the apples.
- In a large skillet with tight fitting lid, melt butter over medium high and add onion. Cook for two minutes and add cabbage, apple juice, sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper and diced apple. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add kielbasa, cover and cook for ten more minutes.
- While kielbasa is heating, core but don’t peel last apple. Cut into 16 wedges and add to dish at the end. Stir once and serve. The texture will be a mix of crunchy apples with soft cooked cabbage and kielbasa.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like:
Haluski (Fried Cabbage and Noodles)
Leave a Comment