- 2 baking apples (we used Cortland), divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 pound head of red cabbage, cored and chopped into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound Kielbasa, cut into slices
- Peel, core and dice one of the apples.
- In a large skillet with tight fitting lid, melt butter over medium high and add onion. Cook for two minutes and add cabbage, apple juice, sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper and diced apple. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add kielbasa, cover and cook for ten more minutes.
- While kielbasa is heating, core but don’t peel last apple. Cut into 16 wedges and add to dish at the end. Stir once and serve. The texture will be a mix of crunchy apples with soft cooked cabbage and kielbasa.