We made this recipe for Twice Baked Potatoes for the first time over the holidays, and received such rave reviews – we had to share the recipe!
The filling for these potatoes is actually a mix of two types of potatoes – the scooped-out russet potato, plus some sweet potato added in for extra flavor – and we think the mix of the two is fantastic! The potato mixture is then combined with bacon, two kinds of cheeses (sharp cheddar and Mascarpone), butter and scallions. It’s like a fully-loaded baked potato, but creamy on the inside and crisp and golden on the outside!
This dish is pure comfort food and it’s so filling, it could be a meal all by itself. Or served with prime rib, like we did over the holidays, it’s a hearty and delicious side dish. Although the filling can easily be scooped back into the potato skin with a spoon, we used a large pastry bag with a star tip, and piped the filling into the potato to give it a more elegant look for our meal. Either way, you’re sure to get the same rave reviews we did!Print
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 small sweet potato
- ½ pound bacon
- 2 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- 5 scallions chopped (reserve about a tablespoon of green portion for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup shredded sharp yellow cheddar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place russet potatoes and sweet potato on center rack of oven and bake 30 minutes. (Place sweet potato on a small sheet of foil to catch drips). Open oven, flip potatoes and prick with a fork. Bake for another 30 minutes. Sweet potato may need another 15-30 minutes – bake until soft. Remove potatoes from oven to cool.
- Turn oven down to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Drain the bacon on paper towels and discard fat. Chop bacon into small bits.
- In a bowl, mix together half of the chopped bacon, the Mascarpone cheese, scallions (except for reserved tops to be used later for garnish), butter, shredded cheddar cheese, salt and pepper.
- Lay baking potatoes flat and cut in half horizontally. Scoop out each potato down to the skin (but leave enough potato so it keeps its shape) and place the filling in a large mixing bowl. Remove skin from sweet potato and place in the bowl with the scooped-out russet potato filling.
- Roughly mash both potatoes with potato masher. Add bacon and cheese mixture and stir until smooth.
- Place mixture into a 16-inch pastry bag with a star tip.
- Fill each potato with mixture dividing evenly between the four halves.
- Sprinkle remaining chopped bacon on each filled half and place on sheet pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until mixture is hot and just golden brown.
- Top each with chopped scallion greens and serve immediately.
Keywords: Twice Baked Potatoes
You may also like: