My husband Jack and I are always looking for new recipes to try – especially for vegetables and side dishes! It’s a fun way to experiment in the kitchen as well as to change up the routine at dinnertime!
I recently browsed through one of our cookbooks called Toscana Mia: The Heart and Soul of Tuscan Cooking – a cookbook that Jack and I received as a wedding gift just before our honeymoon trip to Tuscany. We’ve been dreaming of going back sometime soon – and what better way to relive some happy memories than with a glorious dish like these Tuscan Gilded Carrots!
The ‘gilded’ name comes from the golden color this dish gets as the tender carrots are baked with cream, eggs and Parmesan cheese in the oven. The dish also includes fresh mint and basil as well as a little bit of dry sherry – giving these carrots a unique and delicious flavor.
These Tuscan Gilded Carrots are very delicious – and quite rich – so we think it’s a perfect side dish to serve at a special holiday meal as an indulgent treat! Enjoy!Print
- 1½ pounds medium carrots, peeled, trimmed and left whole
- 3 eggs
- ¼ plus 1/8 cup heavy cream (on measuring cup it is 100 ml)
- 6 ounces in weight grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
- 1 ½ tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium to large pot filled half full with water, bring to a boil. Plunge in the whole carrots and boil for five minutes. Drain and bring the carrots to a cutting board and cut into ¼ inch slices.
- While carrots are boiling, in a small bowl, beat eggs with cream, Parmesan cheese, mint, parsley and sherry. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium high and add butter, oil, salt and sliced carrots and cook for just a minute.
- Pour carrots and butter into a medium casserole dish and pour reserved egg mixture over top.
- Bake for 20 -25 minutes until golden brown on top.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
You may also like: