This week on A Family Feast, we’re sharing our Dinner Party Series – a collection of really delicious recipes that we enjoyed at a recent dinner party hosted by our friends, Sandi and David.
The meal was so spectacular, starting with this Tuscan Kale Salad with Oranges, Currants and Feta, that we begged our friends for the recipes just so we could share them here!
Sandi, who has been my friend for almost 20(!) years, and her husband David are two of the kindest, sweetest people you’ll ever meet – as well as really great cooks! Whenever possible, they go out of their way to prepare their meals with locally-sourced ingredients, and they found some amazing vegetables and fruits for this salad.
First, this wonderful salad starts with Tuscan kale (sometimes also called black or lacinato kale) which is tender enough to eat raw (the more common green kale can be too bitter and tough to eat raw). We found the Tuscan kale at a local produce market, but it’s also becoming more readily available at your average supermarket.
The kale was then tossed with some gorgeous blood oranges and purple carrot slices (navel oranges and basic orange carrots will work in this salad just as well), and some currants and chopped pistachios added sweetness and texture to the salad. Finally, some tanginess from crumbled feta, and a delicious lemon vinaigrette perfectly complemented the kale, fruit and vegetables.
Isn’t it just gorgeous to look at? It’s really delicious too!
P.S. Check out my friend Sandi’s blog, The Wearable Art Blog, showcasing original handmade jewelry and fashion by talented designers from around the globe.Print
Note: To remove orange segments for this recipe, take a whole orange and using a sharp knife, cut from top to bottom all around the outside edge, removing outer skin and white inner skin. Next, hold the peeled orange in your palm or rest on a cutting board and cut segments out one at a time running knife against the inner membrane of each segment and then remove to a bowl. (It sounds difficult, but it’s actually easy to do!).
For the salad:
- 1 large head of Tuscan kale, stems removed, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 large naval oranges peeled with sections removed from white membrane, or 3 blood oranges
- 2 medium sized purple or maroon carrots peels left one, washed, trimmed and cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup shelled roasted pistachio nuts roughly chopped
- ½ cup currants
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons shallot finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place kale, orange segments, carrot slices, chopped pistachios and currants in a large bowl. Hold feta until the end.
- In a small bowl, mix lemon juice, lemon zest, shallots, mustard, oil, salt and pepper and pour over salad and toss.
- Top with feta cheese and serve.
Also in our Dinner Party Series: