Note: To remove orange segments for this recipe, take a whole orange and using a sharp knife, cut from top to bottom all around the outside edge, removing outer skin and white inner skin. Next, hold the peeled orange in your palm or rest on a cutting board and cut segments out one at a time running knife against the inner membrane of each segment and then remove to a bowl. (It sounds difficult, but it’s actually easy to do!).
For the salad:
- 1 large head of Tuscan kale, stems removed, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 large naval oranges peeled with sections removed from white membrane, or 3 blood oranges
- 2 medium sized purple or maroon carrots peels left one, washed, trimmed and cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup shelled roasted pistachio nuts roughly chopped
- ½ cup currants
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons shallot finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place kale, orange segments, carrot slices, chopped pistachios and currants in a large bowl. Hold feta until the end.
- In a small bowl, mix lemon juice, lemon zest, shallots, mustard, oil, salt and pepper and pour over salad and toss.
- Top with feta cheese and serve.