This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup Basmati or long grain white rice
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1½ cups diced fresh tomato
- 1 large orange bell pepper seeded stemmed and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, stemmed and minced
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Two tablespoons minced cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Place a few tablespoons of warm tap water into a small bowl and add the saffron threads to steep.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small Dutch oven or other oven proof pan with a lid, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium and add rice. Stir often for 5 minutes or until rice has just started to brown.
- Add stock and all other ingredients including the small bowl with saffron threads and water and stir to combine.
- Cover and place in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and keep covered for five more minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, garnish with optional chopped cilantro and serve.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.