This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
As two people who both love to cook, my husband Jack and I came into our relationship each with our own recipes for certain foods. Jack’s recipe for Chicken Enchiladas with White Sauce is among our most popular recipes on A Family Feast – and for very good reason – it’s delicious! But sometimes, lighter and lower-calorie fare is in order (food blogging can be very hard on the waist line…) – and that’s where my recipe for Skinny Creamy Chicken Enchiladas comes in!
Adapted from this recipe, I’ve been making these skinny creamy chicken enchiladas for years! Flour tortillas are filled with a healthy combination of boneless skinless chicken breast and cooked spinach that has been tossed with a light and super flavorful combination of low-fat sour cream, fat-free Greek yogurt, scallions, cumin and some diced green chili peppers. After the filled tortillas are baked, some reduced-fat cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese is sprinkled over the top until it melts. Then a simple garnish of fresh tomatoes, chopped scallions, and an additional dollop of yogurt completes the dish!
At around 250 calories per serving, these skinny creamy chicken enchiladas can fit into any lower calorie diet! And – these enchiladas can be assembled in advance – so they are also a great quick weeknight meal option when you are pressed for time!
Calorie and other nutritional information can be found here.
Interested in more chicken recipes?
Click here for our 100+ Best Chicken Recipes.
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach, or ½ 10-ounce package frozen spinach, well drained
- 1 14-ounce can chicken stock
- ½ pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, trimmed of all fat
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions, plus additional for garnish
- 1 8-ounce container light sour cream
- ¼ cup fat free Greek yogurt, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 4-ounce can drained diced green chili peppers
- 6 7-inch flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped tomatoes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If using fresh spinach, steam over boiling water until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Drain spinach well.
- In a medium pot add chicken breasts, chicken stock and enough water to cover chicken. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat. Let chicken breasts sit in hot liquid for 15 minutes. Remove chicken to your cutting board and discard liquid. With two forks pull chicken apart to shred. You should have about 1 ½ cups shredded chicken.
- Place chicken in medium bowl with drained spinach and chopped scallions. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add sour cream, yogurt, flour, cumin, salt, milk and chili peppers. Mix to combine. Add half of this sauce mixture to spinach mixture and hold the rest. Mix spinach mixture to combine sauce.
- Lay out 6 tortilla shells and divide spinach mixture between the six shells. Roll to seam side down.
- Spray a 9×13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place the six rolled enchiladas in the prepared pan seam side down and cover with the remaining half of the sauce.
- Place baking dish in oven uncovered and cook for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately top with shredded cheese. Let sit 10 minutes to melt cheese. If needed, place back in oven for a few more minutes.
- Serve with diced tomatoes, additional yogurt and chopped scallions.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
You may also like: