You can prepare the rolled, filled enchiladas up to a day ahead. When ready to bake, top with the sauce and bake as directed, however because you are starting with chilled enchiladas, your baking time will need to increase to 35-40 minutes. Top with cheese when it comes out of the oven and garnish per the instructions.
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach, or ½ 10-ounce package frozen spinach, well drained
- 1 14-ounce can chicken stock
- ½ pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, trimmed of all fat
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions, plus additional for garnish
- 1 8-ounce container light sour cream
- ¼ cup fat free Greek yogurt, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 4-ounce can drained diced green chili peppers
- 6 7-inch flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped tomatoes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- If using fresh spinach, steam over boiling water until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Drain spinach well.
- In a medium pot add chicken breasts, chicken stock and enough water to cover chicken. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat. Let chicken breasts sit in hot liquid for 15 minutes. Remove chicken to your cutting board and discard liquid. With two forks pull chicken apart to shred. You should have about 1 ½ cups shredded chicken.
- Place chicken in medium bowl with drained spinach and chopped scallions. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add sour cream, yogurt, flour, cumin, salt, milk and chili peppers. Mix to combine. Add half of this sauce mixture to spinach mixture and hold the rest. Mix spinach mixture to combine sauce.
- Lay out 6 tortilla shells and divide spinach mixture between the six shells. Roll to seam side down.
- Spray a 9×13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place the six rolled enchiladas in the prepared pan seam side down and cover with the remaining half of the sauce.
- Place baking dish in oven uncovered and cook for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately top with shredded cheese. Let sit 10 minutes to melt cheese. If needed, place back in oven for a few more minutes.
- Serve with diced tomatoes, additional yogurt and chopped scallions.