This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
- 2 pounds beef steak or other large meaty variety of tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound skinned salmon, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup dry white rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Cut each tomato in half horizontally.
- Place a strainer over a bowl and squeeze each half to extract seeds. Poke your finger into cavities to loosen the seeds.
- Then sprinkle the tomato halves with the ½ teaspoon of salt and place cut down over the strainer. Let the tomatoes sit for 15 minutes. Occasionally squeeze each half. Do not discard the liquid that drains out. You will save one cup of the liquid from the tomatoes and discard the rest. Save the tomato halves for a later step.
- In a medium sized wide pot with a tight fitting lid, heat oil over medium high.
- Once hot, cook salmon pieces in two batches turning each piece over to sear all sides. Then remove them to a platter leaving oil in pan and keep pan hot.
- Add onions and sauté two minutes then add rice, dill, salt and pepper.
- Sauté the rice for three minutes.
- Add the reserved cup of tomato liquid along with the one cup of clam juice. (Alternatively, you could omit the clam juice and just use all tomatoes liquid. Two pounds of beefy tomatoes will give up two cups of liquid.)
- Stir once, bring to a boil, cover and reduce to low. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, take the reserved tomato halves and shred using the large holes of a box grater. Do this over a strainer and bowl. Shred right down to the skin and core then discard the skin, core and any liquid in the bowl. What is left in the strainer should be one cup of tomato pulp.
- Once the rice is done, remove from heat and stir in the salmon and tomato pulp and cover. Let sit for five minutes.
- Sprinkle on the remaining dill and the lemon juice, stir and serve.
Last Step! Please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.